Bemidji is a great place to live if you love playing in the outdoors. Winter activities are just as plentiful as summer activities as long as you dress for it. There is a saying, "there's no such thing as cold weather only poor clothing choices" and I have to agree (well, kind of, 50 below is cold no matter what you wear!). Luckily, the area has tons of things to do at a reasonable price or for free.
The Bemidji Cross-Country Ski Club hosts a ski school every winter. The kids attended last year and were excited to join again this year. For the low low price of $65 we all signed up for ski school. They provide the skis for kids. Dennis wanted to try skate ski lessons, so he rented his skis (he has classical skis) for $5 from the college. I signed up for classical nordic skiing just to get some pointers like how to turn at the bottom of a steep hill so I don't hit a tree which is my biggest issue! Not that I've ever hit a tree, but I've been very close, I just wipe out first!
The kids learn the basics: how to fall, how to get up after you fall, how to go downhill, how to get back up the hill, how to push and glide, how to pass, etc.
They love ski school but really I think they just go outside so they can have hot chocolate when they come in!
Only 2 more weeks of ski school then the following week is the Barnelopet which is a children's x-country ski race that's just for fun! I can't wait to see them in their racing bibs!
3 comments:
Oh, that looks so fun! I do love skiing and winter, but I am so cold all the time that it takes a lot to convince me to get out- maybe I need to invest in some better hot chocolate. Also, as a family, we totally agree with with proper clothing thing. I think it comes from Andy growing up in Rochester and both of us working at Galyans. Do your kids have smartwool socks yet? (p.s. sorry for such a long comment)
Melissa-
My kids rarely wear socks at least when they're inside. They each have a long pair of wigwams socks that go to their knees, that I got them for skating/skiing/sledding but they rarely them. They have good boots so they both complain about sweating feet.
I am cold most of the time too, but 5 minutes into skiing I wish that I wouldn't have worn so much! I'd bet you'd be a great skier.
Love the whole family embracing of where you are!!! how much longer does Dennis have there?
Post a Comment