Tuesday, February 22, 2011

AZ Trip Day 4: Exploring Tucson Without Dad

Did I mention that the whole reason we were in Tucson was for Dennis to attend an Indian Health Conference? So while he was learning about how to improve patient care, the kids and I went exploring. We held off doing all the deserty things because Dennis really wanted to join us for those so we went to the zoo and a children's museum.
Reid Park Zoo is a relatively small zoo, but it is really nice and actually it was big enough for us having all of the "big" animals that one hopes to see at a zoo: lions, polar bears, tigers, giraffes and elephants! This zoo also had a South America section which most zoos don't have. I don't think I've ever seen an anteater, capybara, tapir or jaguar before. I felt a little like Diego.The highlight of the zoo however, was feeding the giraffes. Giraffes have long tongues (long enough to pick their own nose with) that are a little rough (like a cats) and very slimy. The giraffes were not shy at all, but the kids were a little reluctant. I myself was a little gung-ho, because I have never felt a giraffes tongue before. I picked a very small piece of lettuce and put it in the palm of my hand and the giraffe licked and licked my hand. It was gross, but cool too. (Gosh am I 8 years old, or what?)

The next stop was the Tucson Children's museum. I didn't take many pictures for several reasons. The first is that the lighting was really bad. Secondly, the kids were moving kind of fast and I frankly was getting tired of taking pictures. I wanted to play too (Remember? I am 8.)
This was a fun rope maze that the kids tried. They tied themselves to a rope and had to get through the maze by going over and under other ropes.
The rest of the day was spent, you guessed it, at the pool. Again, I'm going to make you wait for those pictures.

1 comment:

Josh and Rya said...

I wish I could braid Rya's hair like that.