Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Yellowstone Vacation: Part 1

Wow! I'm so far behind. It was my goal to get vacation pictures and Eli's birthday pictures posted before school started. Here I sit, an hour before it's tomorrow and they first day of school. Oh well.

Here is a little map of the route we took on our trip. We drove over 3,000 miles and saw lots of amazing things! Something you should know: the only things we had planned were the days I was seeing my friend in Idaho and the days that we were going to be in Yellowstone. The rest of the trip, we just flew by the seat of our pants and did what thought we might enjoy along the way. This is the best way to travel, if you ask me.

Day 1: We left home after Dennis arrived home from work. Our goal was to make it to Bismarck to stay with Dennis' sister's family. We arrived after 10, but we still had an hour of Olympic coverage to watch before bed!

Day 2: This was the day of lots of driving. We left at the crack of dawn and made it to Bozeman by 4 in the afternoon, which gave us enough time for swimming at the hotel pool and go to a brewery for supper, and watch the Olympics before bed!





Day 3: We stopped at Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park in Montana. My rule is to never take pictures inside caves, because they all turn out horrible, like this one:
 
We hopped back into the car and drove toward Butte. We headed into the Beaverhead National Forest and camped at a small and very scenic little campground called Li'l Joe.
 
At this point we were in the mountains. Have I mentioned that I'm a mountain girl? I LOVE the mountains. The smells, the views, the trees, the rivers... they all make my heart race and I turn into a giddy school girl. It was such a thrill to be back "in the west."

1 comment:

Josh and Rya said...

"crack of dawn" lol, gets me everytime!