Saturday, September 08, 2012

Our First Week at Schoolcraft!

Eli and Sadie started school this week at a new school. They will be attending a charter school called Schoolcraft Learning Community that is located on the French Campus of Concordia Language Village which is located about 5 miles from our house. Schoolcraft follows the "expeditionary learning" model that focuses on leadership, fieldwork, and service projects in an authentic way. I am constantly blown away at the work that is being done at Schoolcraft and I can't wait to share them with you as the year progresses! Before you roll your eyes at all of this, know that this year Schoolcraft was named a Minnesota Reward school for it's academic excellence and scored in the 95% on achievement tests!
Schoolcraft is a very non-traditional school. First, their classrooms are housed in cabins. I'm excited to see what Eli and Sadie think of this situation when there is 3 feet of snow on the ground and it's 20 below or when it's pouring rain!! They have to walk outside to all specialist classes (music, p.e., art, etc.) and to use the bathroom.
There is only one section of each grade with the exception of first grade and each grade is capped at 18 students. There is a lottery to get into the school because of the low numbers. Once a family is in, preference is given to siblings. Sadie's class has 14 boys and 4 girls!!
Eli's class is more gender-balanced.  The teachers stay with the same class for 2 years. Sadie will have her teacher, AnnaMae, for kindergarten and first grade. Eli will only have his teacher, Sarah, for one year because he attended a different school for kindergarten and will get a different teacher next year for second and third grade.
There is no playground equipment. The kids can play soccer, explore, jump rope, play ball and the like. They go outside everyday for recess, rain or shine, 20 below or not which is why raincoats and rain boots are on their school supply list. These are tough northern Minnesota kids!!
They eat lunch with grades K-8 eating at the same time (that's 197 kids + staff). They eat family style and serve themselves. I will tell you that lunch is very chaotic, but big kids help the little kids and magically they all get to eat a very healthy and delicious meal.

Because they are located on the French Campus of the language village, they are learning French. They are also learning piano and they get a class in cooperative life schools (aka conflict management) taught by moi!

Schoolcraft truly is a special and magical place. I am so pleased that Eli and Sadie have the opportunity to be Schoolcraft kids.
Sadie's quotes for the week: "I didn't have a favorite part of the day because I loved it all so much." "Schoolcraft's chef's make the most delicious meals. They pick the best grapes."
Eli's quote for the week: "I like Schoolcraft, but I don't like school."
Eli lost his first top tooth this week!
 
How was my first week teaching Conflict Management at Schoolcraft? It was a blast. The kids are so bright and engaging and so willing to participate and share their thoughts and ideas. Because many of them have had conflict management since kindergarten I can see already that I'm going to have to challenge them. Being a peacemaker is easy for them, I'm going to have to encourage them to be leaders with their peacemaking!!

2 comments:

phdmommy said...

First, I want to go to Schoolcraft! Second, I volunteered for K lunch this week and it was like herding cats.

allanya said...

Wow, sounds very interesting. I look forward to hearing more throughout the years.