Friday, September 14, 2012

Yellowstone Vacation: Part 4

Day 7- Day 10: We finally made it to Yellowstone! We spent the first day hanging out at Old Faithful. We saw Old Faithful go off 3 times!! We spent a lot of time at the Visitor Center, we went on a boardwalk trail, and participated in the "Animal Olympics". We camped at Madison Campground which is centrally located to all areas of the park so we'd have easy access to all areas of the park. We spent one day in each area of the park.
There was still a lot of driving each day mixed in with sight seeing and animal watching. We brought along 2 pairs of binoculars which was a godsend and the kids took turns taking photos. I think "we" took over 350 pictures!
We saw lots of buffalo, elk and marmots. We woke up early 2 mornings to look for wildlife. We saw (with the help of a spotting scope) 2 grizzly bears one morning and a pack of wolves another morning.
I truly enjoyed visiting the Canyon area as a lot has changed in the 17 years since I worked there. It brought back a lot of memories.
The kids enjoyed the campground the best, imagine that, but they love meeting kids from all different parts of the country. Plus, we let them ride their bikes freely which they also enjoy.
We spent some time swimming in the Fire Hole. The water was swift and cool. We weren't very prepared for the depth of the water or the crowd but we made the best of it!
I know that if you haven't been to Yellowstone that I haven't described it's magic very well for you to truly understand it. It is like being on a whole different planet with many different ecosystems. It is one of the most spectacular places on earth.
The line to take a picture of the Yellowstone sign was very long!!

The kids watching Old Faithful.



Sadie got a little sunburnt!



This is what Eli thought of the sulfur smell of most of the pools.

Canyon!

I'm very proud of the kids for walking all 300+ stairs to get down Uncle Tom's Trail. They didn't whine too much!

Eli and Sadie both became junior rangers.

Petrified tree.

1 comment:

MomMom said...

I would be so intimidated to do this trip alone (like just my family) without knowing any of the ins or outs. Can we do it with you guys in 2 years when Lola is old enough???? Please????!!!