Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Sadie and Mom Date: Judy Garland's House and Children's Museum

Last week Sadie and I made a small trek to Grand Rapids, MN to see the Birth Place of Judy Garland. Sadie really had no idea who exactly Judy Garland is, but there is also a children's museum attached so I figured she would find it somewhat interesting. And it really was interesting.

They have the original house that's been restored to the 1920's. The house is a lot of fun because you can touch everything. Sadie and I had fun pushing dolls in the buggy, sewing, cooking, playing the piano and typing.

Outside the house there is a yellow road where you can sign your name.
Along the path there are munchkin photo opps. There is also a museum with lots of photos, some of her belongings and the actual carriage that was in the Wizard of Oz. The museum used to house a pair of ruby red slippers (there are 3 other pairs, one pair being in the Smithsonian) until 6 years ago when they were stolen!


The Children's Discovery Museum was fun too. Though I suspect that Sadie would have had a lot more fun if she had a friend along instead of just her mom.

After the museums, we had a late lunch and made the 80 mile trek back to our house and arrived just as Eli was arriving home from school. Sadie will tell you that she loves our time together and I love it too.


4 comments:

tomandcheryl said...

Oh my gosh! I want to go there! So cool. It looks like a great mother daughter day!
~Cheryl

allanya said...

Looks like a fun trip, 80 miles wow! We just watched the WOZ after we read the book.

MomMom said...

What a blast, where are the pictures of you playing with everything too?? LOL

Mom2BeautifulGirl said...

Glad you are having such fun together.