Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Our Peeps

Today was a big day in the Sperle household. We brought home four new family members from L&M Fleet. Yes, I said four new Sperles. Four of the cutest, egg-laying Sperles that you ever did see. We have chickens!! Well, chicks--araucana chicks to be sort-of exact (they could be americaunas or easter egg chickens) and they will be providing us with yummy, blue-green, farm-fresh eggs in 20 weeks or so.
Hundreds of chicks/ducklings/goslings arrived at L&M Fleet (I'll have to devote an entire post to fleet another day. It sells all things that are northern Minnesota. And boy do we love love love that store.) today and we rushed over to get our hands on a few before they sold out. We got the last 4 "araucanas", so we didn't get to choose, but really, they're all so cute it would have been hard to pick.

We brought them home and put them in their little cardboard box home in our basement until their chicken coop is complete. Nothing like have growing chicks to motivate you to finish up the chicken coop!! They have a cuddly warm heat lamp and will be living there until they get their feathers.
The kids are seriously in love with the chicks. They've been played with and loved a lot today. Sadie kissed them all about a hundred times each. I'm just tickled and kind of amazed that we actually have chickens living in our basement (away from the cat!!). I don't really know anything about chickens so it's going to be a fun learning experience. Thank goodness for the internet! Eli is holding Penelope (we'll probably end up calling her Penny). Here Sadie is holding Mabel, the biggest and fastest chick.

Eli named this little girl, Mohawk, because she has a perfect brown stripe down her back. I have a feeling we'll call her Mo.

The other little all yellow gal is Annie Ella Rosa or "Annie" for short. Sadie was having a hard time choosing from all of her favorite names so she has three of them. I'm sure we'll only call her her full name when she's being naughty.


I'm sure we'll have more pictures soon.

6 comments:

tomandcheryl said...

Oh my gosh! That is so cool! My dad raised pigeons (homing) in our backyard. On our postage stamp property we can't have anything like that!
~Cheryl

Enigmama said...

This is so exciting! I can't wait until we can do the same!

phdmommy said...

Once again, I will just say that I wish you were my mom.

Josh and Rya said...

lol, naughty chick...

~heather~ said...

Congrats on your chicks! Very exciting!

Mom2BeautifulGirl said...

My sister had chickens. Fresh eggs are soooo delicious.

Congrats!