Here it is, the first day of December. It looks like December: there's a good 18 inches of fluffy, glittery snow, the trees are heavy with the latest falling of the white stuff, the roads are icy, the ski trails have been groomed, and all of our shoes have been replaced by boots (and skates, and skis!). The temperatures are in the single digits and it now takes us a good 20 minutes to get out the door as boots, coats, hats, scarves and mittens need to be put on even just to run and get the mail. 
"Reindeer" by Sadie
I can't believe how fast the time has gone. It seems like there is a lot to get done between now and December 25. We need to find, chop down and decorate a Christmas tree, two requested bathrobes need to be sewn, dozens of cookies need to be made, the house needs to be cleaned, scrubbed, decluttered and decorated for a holiday party that I somehow volunteered for, presents need to be purchased, holiday cards need to be emailed and somehow I need to find time to slow down, smile and enjoy it all. Although it can be hectic, I enjoy all of the preparation for one special day. The kids, too have been preparing. Letters are being written, ornaments are being made, decorations are being arranged and then rearranged and the rearranged again, songs are being sung and holiday cheer is in the air.
Eli has a Christmas concert coming up and I think he might even sing this time. He's promised to wear a sweater and he even helped pick one out (on ebay, of course). Much to my chagrin, it turns out that he doesn't like Nordic ski sweaters and finds them "too snowflakey". Sadie has about 4 Christmas outfits and thinks that that isn't enough and already knows which outfit she's wearing to each holiday event. Dennis has requested a chainsaw for Christmas, but Sadie thinks he needs new underwear. I wonder which one he'll be getting?!
In this time of preparation, I'm going to try really hard to appreciate and savor every moment of it. And I pray that my patience lasts until December 25th!!
2 comments:
How about underwear with chainsaws on it??? :)
Love Sadies writing!!
I love the kids pictures. I too love the hustle and bustle of things to do and traditions of the holidays!
Post a Comment