Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Brokenhearted

Our little kitty, Jewel, went missing on Friday. The kids and I were out of town. Dennis was here but was working and on-call so he wasnt' really around. She went out Friday morning and didn't come back home. We checked with neighbors, roamed the back woods, called every possible place someone could have possibly taken her if they found her and did lots of finger crossing hoping that she'd find her way home. Well, today I got a call from our neighbor across the street telling me that she found Jewel's body. The crazy thing is that it appeared that nothing was wrong with her. She didn't have any broken bones or blood or signs of rough play. We can only assume that she got into something that she wasn't supposed to get into. My neighbor, who I didn't really get to know before today, was such a sweet man. He cried with me and offered to get her ready for a burial. We're all so sad at our house and trying to answer all of those hard questions that kids ask and that parents pretend to know the answers to: where do you go when you die?, what's a soul? what happens to the body? why do we bury her? Is she with Trouble (my parent's cat who recently passed away) now? And then there are the lighter questions: can we get a dog now? and when can we get another cat?
It rained all day today. Hopefully, the weather will be drier tomorrow so we can say our final good-byes. Jewel was a great cat. I've never met a cat so gentle and cuddly and patient with the kids. We're really going to miss her.

7 comments:

tomandcheryl said...

Oh Sharleen, I am so sorry for you and the kids. She might have been sick and left your house in order to die. I have heard of animals doing that. She knew she was going to die and didn't want the kids to see her.
Sorry again! So sad.
~Cheryl

Anonymous said...

So So sorry. We lost 2 of ours & I rememebr it was hard with son but he was younger. I bet it is way harder at this age cause they get it.
So sad.
Hugs to the kids.
P.S. Jackson invited Eli over for a playdate, he misses him :)

Enigmama said...

So sad to hear this. I still remember when my dad ran over my favorite kitty. Hoping the kids' heart mend soon...I continue to be amazed at my kids' resilience.

Josh and Rya said...

So sorry for your family. It's hard to lose a pet and even harder to watch your children go through it. ::hugs::

I didn't know Trouble passed away. Hugs to auntie and uncle, too.

phdmommy said...

Aw, Sharleen, I'm so sorry. That's so sad. Luke is still talking about Gavin and drawing him in family pictures and he's been gone over a year now.

Mom2BeautifulGirl said...

So sorry for your loss. It's so very sad for everyone. I pray that God gives you all peace soon

~heather~ said...

I'm so sorry this happened. Hugs to you all.