Monday, September 06, 2010

Water Weekend

We went camping along the North Shore of Lake Superior north of Duluth, MN for one last hurrah before school starts and fall sets in. We arrived at Gooseberry Falls State Park on Thursday night and set up our tent in the rain. It continued to rain all Friday, but it mostly drizzled. We were lucky to get a camp site as the campground was full and Dennis and I are notorious for not making reservations, but somehow there were 2 sites available and we got one (after waiting an hour just to get our name on a waiting list and then having to come back later to claim our spot...). We spent our rainy Friday doing some short hikes and going to Grand Marais. We visited one of our favorite author's studio and bought a print for the kids' room. We ate pie and admired the grandness of Lake Superior from a distance as it was cold and windy. On Saturday and Sunday, the sun was shining and we had plenty of time for hiking, agate finding, and s'more eating.
I can't even remember the names of all of the waterfalls we saw, but this one is Gooseberry:
Being silly on a hike. I must say that this weekend is the first time that the kids hiked all of the trails like champs. Barely a complaint out of them and they loved the waterfalls and throwing rocks. It is also the greatest distance that they've ever hiked. We might just make hikers out of them yet. It made the trip so much more enjoyable.

I think this is Cascade River Falls:

They light up the Split Rock Lighthouse once a month. We were there for it. It was pretty uninspiring up-close. It looked so much cooler from a distance.
I think this is Cascade Falls at Tettegouche:

We finished our trip by riding the rails on a train tour. I'll have to post pictures of what Eli took pictures of. It's pretty funny.

So long summer, see you next year!

1 comment:

~heather~ said...

Looks like so much fun! I'm glad that the kids hiked so well!