Friday, October 17, 2008

The Circleville Pumpkin Show

This is our 4th year living in Columbus and every year we've said that we should really go to the Pumpkin Show. Since this is our last year in Ohio, we decided that if we're going to go, it's now or never. We loaded up the kids after Dennis got home from work on Thursday and headed south to Circleville to the 102nd annual Pumpkin Show. And there were a lot of pumpkins. Big ones, little ones, pumpkins in the shape of faces, pumpkins with weird things growing on them, pumpkins in all sorts of colors... the list goes on and on and I'd love to show you pictures of all of them, but like most important events, the camera battery decided to die after three photos. At least you get to see the biggest pumpkin and the pumpkin tree.
Here, Eli and Sadie are eating corn, not pumpkin. It's not even pumpkin flavored corn. It's just corn. Eli didn't even eat his corn; he just licked off the butter and salt. We did have pumpkin donuts and pumpkin cheesecake though. We were tempted by the pumpkin brownies and the pumpkin ice cream. The pumpkin burger didn't sound too appetizing though. There were more food vendors than the Ohio State Fair. I was amazed by it all. Blocks and blocks and blocks of food vendors selling everything pumpkin.
There were rides and games and art booths and singers and dancers and pumpkin artwork. But, the highlight was the parade. The Pumpkin Show has seven different parades in the five days that the pumpkin show is held. We went to the "Parade of Bands" where all of the local HS marching bands come to play and march. I think it was the best parade I've ever been too. (Sorry Dad. It even beat the Shriner's parade.) The kids had a blast! Sadie waved at every Princess, cheered with every cheerleader and danced with every band. Two kids fell asleep on the way home and one kid even slept in 'til 7:30. Yea for pumpkins!

2 comments:

phdmommy said...

Darn it! Every year I say the same thing and we keep missing it! Oh well, we'll be here longer than you guys, so I guess we've got time. It looked like fun.

Katie

MomMom said...

Wow!!
I am bummed about the camera too, From just the 3 shots it looks like so much fun!
Ive never made it down.... Next year!
A