After much debate and hemming and hawing and hair pulling and second-guessing and touring and visiting and question asking, we have decided to send Eli to kindergarten next year. This was a difficult decision for us as we had decided that since Eli has a late August birthday that it would be better for Eli to wait a year for lots of reasons: he's small, he's shy, kids grow up too fast, etc. But, we really wanted to send Eli to Schoolcraft a charter school housed at the Concordia Language Village. They only have one section of each grade and only allow 18 students each year, giving priority to siblings. There is an application process and new students are selected by lottery. Because of siblings, this year their were only 2 slots available. We put Eli's name on the list, just in case and we were notified that Eli was selected! After visiting with the teacher, touring the campus, and talking with other Schoolcraft parents we decided that Eli has been given an opportunity that we just can't pass up (considering that there are 43 kids on the waiting list!). We are all so excited. Schoolcraft is truly a magical and awesome place to learn. I can't even begin to describe the sense of community I felt when I was there. The kids we met were so kind and compassionate and they all LOVED school. They were so engaged in their learning and truly learning in a way that Dennis and I have always wanted to teach. Here are some highlights of the school:- French lessons everyday
- Every kinder and first grade student receives piano lessons
- homemade lunches
- Expeditionary and Outward Bound School philosophy
- PE includes: swimming, cross country skiing and sled dog racing
- Peacemakers conflict management (which we've heard is nothing but outstanding!)
The picture above is from the Concordia Language Village website. Click here to view pictures of the French Village Campus, where Schoolcraft leases space. Plus, check out all of the other programs that CLV offers. It is an awesome place!
1 comment:
I'm so excited and jealous all at the same time. Sounds like a wonderful school experience. Eli will just thrive, I'm sure.
Post a Comment