Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Vacation Part I

You are looking at the first of several installments of the Sperle Family Vacation 2008. This year we vacationed in, you guessed it, North Dakota. But, this year we decided to drive. Yes, we are slightly crazy to take a 1,000+ mile car trip with two little ones, but the kids did better than I thought thanks to a portable DVD player! Because we were driving, we decided to take the scenic route and take a few extra days to do some sight seeing. We went up through Michigan's Upper Peninsula across to Duluth and down to Fargo. Here's a few highlights from the first leg of the trip.
Dennis and the kids at Makinaw City:
Note to anyone going to the U.P. in June: it is freezing cold. Freezing. Cold. The highs were in the forties and I only brought one long sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt for the kids. So, we were all shivering and made every stop very brief. We found this very sandy and very isolated beach, had it been warmer we would have stayed all day. The kids and I had a great time collecting these wonderfully round and smooth palm-size rocks. We (illegally, mind you) took a large bag home with us and it's a good thing we did because those rocks kept the kids occupied for hours.
Sadie sleeping and holding one of her rocks:
One of the numerous waterfalls we saw along the way:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved the UP the one time we traveled that way.

Makes me want to visit Mackinaw again.