Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Entryway Lockers

We have an awesome entryway. It's big, has two closets and is it's own little room that collects dirt, pineneedles, wet snow and whatever else collects on the bottom of shoes (ahem, chicken poop). It's the envy of homeowners everywhere. But, it still wasn't perfect. We didn't use half of the space, guests had no where to hang their coats and the kids just hung about 8 coats on one coat hook. It was usually a pretty big mess. Entryway before (taken from the front door):
So you can get a better idea of the layout, this picture was taken from the oppostie direction. One door leads outside, the other into the house and there is another closet to the right of the one shown.

I found a picture in Better Homes and Gardens of a set of built-in lockers and I knew that it was exactly what we needed in our entryway to help with the organization of coats, boots and the like. Well, it turns out that I married a pretty good carpenter (those farm boys can do anything!) not only can he build chicken coops, but he can build lockers too:

They turned out even better than I expected and the kids love having their own space for their things. It's a little big for them, but they're growing fast! I love them and I think they make the space much more functional and they look cool too!

Three cheers for handy husbands who give their wives exactly what they want. Yea!

7 comments:

tomandcheryl said...

Sharleen I am so jealous of that! I have always wanted the lockers like that but no where to put them. They blend in perfectly with the style of your house. Enjoy the now organized chaos!
~Cheryl

Enigmama said...

Drooling ...I too love these. Hoping for something like that in the future. Today though my husband is trying to build a chicken coop on an old wagon.

allanya said...

Super cute! Great job Dennis. They look awesome and useful.

Josh and Rya said...

We'll be building some of those in our new house, too!

MomMom said...

excellent use of space!! If you ever move I bet they will add alot of value!

Mom2BeautifulGirl said...

Awesome! So jealous of the space and your handy husband.

Thanks for sharing.

constance said...

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!! :-))