Thursday, July 01, 2010

Summer Soccer

In the spring, Sadie and Eli both played soccer. They were on the same team and played with the 2s, 3s, and 4s. I know it seems crazy to have 2 year olds and 4 year olds on the same team, but usually 5 minutes into it the 2 year olds have wandered off the field and just the "bigger" kids were left. Mind you, they never actually played soccer, they just did silly games that may or may not include the soccer ball. Skip to summer soccer... There are no 2s and 3s so we put Eli on the 4s team only to find out that they still don't play soccer they only do silly games and drills. Eli was not happy. He refused to play and said, "I just want to play 'real' soccer." So, we moved him up to the 5 and 6 year olds. It took him a couple of practices before he got the nerve up to play with the big kids (and I don't mean by age, Eli is the smallest by quite a few inches and the tallest kid is at least a foot taller than him), but now that he's out there, he's a wild man.
Sometimes, a few get by:And sometimes not..
It is so much fun watching the kids go out and have a blast. It's so much fun to watch Eli have confidence in his abilities and to just get out there and knock 'em dead. And I can't believe that I'm the mom who yells little helpful hints from the sidelines. (Rats, I swore I wasn't going to be that mom.) Now all I need is the mini-van and I'll officially be a soccer mom!

1 comment:

Josh and Rya said...

From one soccermom to another!
You know, that just 'playing silly games' is our main compliant about soccer here. Sometimes they won't even touch a ball or when they have a ball they are using their hands with some silly game! I agree w/ Eli-let's play some soccer!