Monday, January 25, 2010

Eli at School

Once a month, Eli's teacher sends out pictures of what they've been busy doing at school. So, I can't take credit for any of these pictures. I love receiving them as it gives me a little glimpse of Eli at school. A little background: Eli goes to a Waldorf preschool, so there aren't any academics taught. It's mostly creative play with natural materials with the main idea being that they expand their imagination. You would think those things would come natural to a kid, however, in today's society there is so much focus on academics that sometimes kids don't ever learn how to be kids. Plus, there's tv, computer, and too many toys to deal with not to mention that neighborhoods are changing and that kids aren't allowed to just run around outside all day with other neighbor kids that kids never learn to be creative or imaginative because they just don't have to be. There has been a dramatic difference in the way that Eli plays since he's been at Frances', it's such a joy to watch. There is a quote from Albert Einstein that I love that helped me realize why playing, creativity and imagination are so important not just for children but for everyone: "Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."

The great thing about Frances is that she takes the kids outside everyday no matter how cold it is. Which is awesome in my book, because Lord knows I don't want to take the kids outside when it's 5 below zero! This little patch of ice is on Lake Bemidji just down the hill from where Frances lives.
These steps were built by the CCC in the '30s and lead from Frances road down to the lake. It's crazy when you leave the road and go down the steps, it's like a little secret magical kingdom. It's pretty cool.Once a week, the kids make soup. Each child brings an organic vegetable and they all chop the vegetables and add them to the soup. Sometimes there are some pretty crazy soup combinations. Eli still doesn't eat his vegetables but I do notice that he says, "I'll try it because maybe I'll like it this time."When I showed Eli this picture he said, "I was playing a really beautiful song and all the kids were dancing with the scarves to my music."A little ball playing:Eli and his favorite friend, Leanna, who he claims is going to be "his Valentine."
The gathering drum:Outside candlemaking:

2 comments:

tomandcheryl said...

Oh my gosh, Sharleen, his school and education looks awesome. I can't believe what they do. So cool. Is Eli the only boy in his class?
~Cheryl

phdmommy said...

Do they have Waldorf schools for grown-ups? I want to go.