Saturday, September 22, 2007

A New Family Hobby!?!

I think I discovered a new family hobby that will keep everyone happy. It involves maps (to please dad), paper and stamps (to please mom) and a treasure hunt (to please the kids). It also involves taking trips to unknown places and often times a little walk through the woods. What is this new found hobby you ask? Letterboxing! Letterboxing (similar to geocaching only without the GPS) is relatively new to the U.S. but has been in England and Europe for many years. A quick search on the Letterboxing website will give you all of the details that you need to begin your first hunt. It involves searching for boxes that are hidden in parks, cemetaries, museums, etc. and collecting the stamps. There are several dozen hidden around Columbus alone! The idea is to make a really cool homemade stamp, but because of lack of time and materials, we just used one we had on hand, but I think I'll make one at somepoint that represents our family. This was a relatively easy hunt and it took us to a field at a Catholic University. The box was in a tree hiding at the end of a stick! It was very exciting. Eli and Sadie were so excited by the discovery:
Our very first stamp:
Posing with books and letterbox:

Yea for family fun!!!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Cool! I think we're going to try it. I checked out some of your links and found out that there are two right here in Lewisburg (so close we could even walk). It sounds like fun. Gabriella has been into pirates lately so I think she would love it.

sharleen.2cupsofcoffee said...

Did you go? We went on Sunday and found our first hitchhiker, but didn't know what to do with it so just left it, but I've now done some research and realized that we should have taken it with us.Oops! And we also came to our first lost box. :(

Anonymous said...

Sharleen, I very very rarely feel envy in my life.
That said, when I read this post and saw your pictures, not only did I want to be you, I also wanted to be one of your children.
You are one of my heros and role models.
Alyssa